In this section
Animal Research: Reporting of In Vivo Experiments
Download the ARRIVE guidelines
Download the ARRIVE guidelines checklist
The ARRIVE (Animal Research: Reporting In Vivo Experiments) guidelines are intended to improve the reporting of animal experiments. They have been published in the journal PLoS Biology and eleven other journals.
Previous work by the NC3Rs showed that many publications reporting publicly funded animal research from the UK and US lacked key information on how the study was designed, conducted and analysed, which could limit their value in informing future scientific studies and policy.
The guidelines have been developed by the NC3Rs to improve standards of reporting and ensure that the data from animal experiments can be fully evaluated and utilised. The guidelines are primarily aimed at scientists writing up their research for publication and for those who are involved in peer review.
From an author's perspective, applying these guidelines carefully is an opportunity to make the most out of one's own work, ensuring that it provides real value to the scientific landscape and is used by others.
Developed in consultation with the scientific community, including researchers, statisticians, journal editors, and funders, the guidelines consist of a 20-point checklist of the essential information that should be included in publications reporting animal research.
The ARRIVE guidelines are endorsed by over 300 journals, funders , univeristies and learned societies.
Journals that have republished the guidelines:
- New Scientist - S Festing
- New Scientist - V Robinson
- PLoS Biology - CJ MacCallum
- Journal of Gene Medicine - O Danos, K Davies, P Lehn, R Mulligan
- British Journal of Pharmacology - JC McGrath, GB Drummond, EM McLachlan, C Kilkenny, CL Wainwright
- British Journal of Anaesthesia - HF Galley
- Significance - M Festing
- Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism - U Dirnagl, M Lauritzen
- Cancer Research - RK Hess
- Disease Models and Mechanisms - V Siegel
- Disease Models and Mechanisms - N Percie du Sert
- Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results - Jaykaran
- The Veterinary Journal - AG Blomme
- European Heart Journal - N Percie du Sert
- Resuscitation - PS Reynolds
- Osteoarthritis and Cartilage - N Percie du Sert
- Nature Genetics
- Shock - PS Reynolds, P Wall, M van Griensven, K McConnell, C. Lang, T Buchman
- PLoS Medicine - V Barbour, J Clark, L Connell, R MacDonald, M Norton, A Ross, P Simpson, M Winker
- Environmental Health Perspectives - HA Tilson, JC Schroeder
- PLoS Biology - JA Eisen, E Ganley, CJ MacCallum
| || |
For further information about the ARRIVE guidelines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org