The NC3Rs is an autonomous body responsible for setting and delivering its strategy and the use of its resources. It is not an independent public authority and for this reason it operates under the umbrella of the Medical Research Council (MRC), which is part of UK Research and Innovation, using some MRC and UKRI administrative systems
The Chief Executive and NC3Rs team are responsible for setting and ensuring the delivery of the NC3Rs strategy. They are supported by a non-executive Board which provides advice on the strategy, monitors delivery against the NC3Rs mission, and ensures that financial planning and risk management is robust.
The NC3Rs team
Our scientific staff are divided into two workstreams: Science and Technology and Policy and Outreach. These groups encompass several more specialised teams, details of which can be found below. Additional teams work across the office to support our programmes. Further details of individual team members can be found on our staff pages.
Science and Technology group
Toxicology and Regulatory Sciences
Policy and Outreach group
Regional Programme Managers
Programme and organisational support
The NC3Rs Board members have expertise in animal and non-animal research, animal welfare and the 3Rs. The Chair is Professor Kevin Shakesheff, Professor of Advanced Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering and Pro-Vice-Chancellor for the Faculty of Science at the University of Nottingham.
Board Members are appointed in a personal capacity for three years, with the possibility of a further two years extension. They are required to declare any private, professional or commercial interests that might, or that might be perceived to, conflict with the NC3Rs' interests as detailed in our declaration of interests policy. You can find out more about our Board members and view their declarations of interests on our Board member page.
Board meeting minutes
- Board minutes 12 February 2021 (PDF, 52KB)
- Board minutes 1 October 2020 (PDF, 49KB)
- Board minutes 13 February 2020 (PDF, 55KB)
- Board minutes 13 June 2019 (PDF, 50KB)
- Board minutes 23 October 2018 (PDF, 109KB)
- Board minutes 14 May 2018 (PDF, 59KB)
- Board minutes 17 October 2017 (PDF, 54KB)
- Board minutes 08 June 2017 (PDF, 88KB)
- Board minutes 30 January 2017 (PDF, 78KB)
- Board minutes 02 June 2016 (PDF, 68KB)
- Board minutes 03 November 2015 (PDF, 83KB)
- Board minutes 04 June 2015 (PDF, 85KB)
- Board minutes 16 December 2014 (PDF, 40KB)
- Board minutes 01 July 2014 (PDF, 60KB)
- Board minutes 10 October 2013 (PDF, 55KB)
- Board minutes 15 July 2013 (PDF, 83KB)
- Board minutes 29 January 2013 (PDF, 59KB)
The NC3Rs is an independent scientific organisation, tasked by Government with supporting the UK science base through the application of the 3Rs. Though it is represented legally by the Medical Research Council (MRC), which in turn is part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), the NC3Rs is managed independently. To avoid doubt references to the NC3Rs shall mean the MRC in relation to actual legal or contractual liability, loss, right or obligation.