We are offering awards of up to £1,500 to support NC3Rs-funded researchers past and present to engage the public with the approaches being taken to replace, reduce and refine animal use in science. The funding is available as an open rolling call, where the applications are reviewed quarterly by the NC3Rs Office.
In 2012, around 50% of the public wanted to find out more about work to find alternatives to animals (Ipsos MORI, 2012). The scheme aims to encourage and support NC3Rs-funded researchers to share the benefits of 3Rs research to science and society. We aim to promote a series of thought-provoking events and activities across the UK for a range of different audiences.
The awards will fund the development of almost any type of event or activity aimed at the public, and applicants are encouraged to be creative in how they intend to engage their target audience. Ideas can include:
- Laboratory open days
- Hands-on workshops
- Informal discussions with public groups
- School visits
- Exhibition or talk as part of a local science event (e.g. university open day, science festival)
- Partnership event with a local community group or scientific society.
|First week of January, April, July, October||Assessment committee meetings|
|One month post assessment||Outcome notification|
|Six months post award||Award completion deadline|
No longer than one month following completion
of the engagement activity
|Informal report on achievements|
Please sign up to the NC3Rs Newsletter for updates on funding schemes.
- Applicants must be a current or previous recipient (principal investigator/co-investigator or current research group member) of an NC3Rs grant, fellowship or studentship.
- Applicants must be based in a non-profit, academic institutions.
- Events funded by the NC3Rs public engagement awards must take place within six months of receiving the award.
The application form can be downloaded below and submitted by email. Applicants must read the application guidance document before completing their application.
Final applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com
Applications will be assessed by the NC3Rs Office staff. Final decisions will be made by the NC3Rs Chief Executive. Further information can be found in the guidance document.